The Saint John’s Seminary Invitational basketball tournament is rooted in fatherhood: at our parishes and seminary and across our region’s Catholic landscape. And what better way to build bonds between men than with worship, prayer, sports and competition?
We at Saint John's believe this at our core: The seminary, nestled at the heart of the Church, plays a vital role in bestowing this paternity on every man that walks through its doors. And an event like this sets the tone for a life of ministry. For seminarians. For laymen. For His glory. Committing our humanity to reveal the love of God the Father to everyone we meet.
Register your parish teamRegister
Saturday, January 6, 2024
(full day’s schedule listed below)
Saint John’s Seminary & Boston College’s Margot Connell Recreation Center
Sixteen (16) teams compete (top two teams from each group advance to quarterfinals); tourney culminates with consolation and championship games.
- Lunch & Dinner provided
- Families welcome/ encouraged to join
- One player from each team participates in 3-point contest
8 a.m. — Team Check-in
8:30 a.m. — Solemn Morning Mass
9:45 a.m. — Opening Ceremony/Blessing
10:00 a.m. — Games begin
11:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. — Lunch served
(Games continue through lunch)
2 p.m. — Semifinals
3 p.m. — Holy Hour (Eucharistic Adoration / Confession available
4 p.m. — Dinner
5:30 p.m. — Third-place Game
6:15 p.m. — 3-point Contest Fundraiser
7 p.m. — Finals
7:45 p.m. — Trophy Presentation, Thank You’s and
* Accommodations are available (contact Saint John’s Seminary if travel concerns arise)
Need some assistance in gettin’ the ball rollin’? Here are some “recruitment” ideas:
1. Pray that God reveals the right men for this experience
2. Advertise in/on the parish’s bulletin/website
3. Extend personal invitations to certain men you feel are best equipped for the experience
4. Identify a “team captain” → a certain guy capable of taking charge and possibly helping recruit other players
5. Make in-person announcements at Confirmation classes or men’s group meetings
6. Invite Saint John’s seminarians to come say a word about the invitational before or after a Sunday Mass
7. Exercise your own creativity — posters, videos, songs, post-Mass shooting clinic, etc.
- We encourage participating teams to invite members of their communities to come cheer on their parish team (there's an award for Best Fans!), learn more about Saint John's Seminary and its mission, and learn how to partner with and support SJS moving forward.