Academic Grievance Policy

Redress of an academic grievance begins with the student’s appeal to the appropriate faculty member or formator and ideally is resolved in that forum. If a resolution is not satisfactorily reached, appeal may be made to the Academic Dean who will consult with the Educational Affairs Committee in reaching a decision. Final appeal may be made to the Rector.

In addition to the Academic Grievance Policy, students may access the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education to file a complaint by visiting the following webpage: